Uh oh! This is a fitting fate for the cultists you must admit. But is this the end? Hardly! Let's continue:
1. The Ravenloft campaign setting is a D&D classic. Starting with the modules I6: Ravenloft and I10: The House on Gryphon Hill, the gothic horror themed game took off in 1990 with the Realm of Terror Boxed Set which spawned a vast series of accessories and novels during the 2nd edition of D&D.
2. In the Wizards of the Coast era, the setting was licensed out to the company White Wolf and thus had to have all of its Greyhawk connections excised. Sad. Eventually this license was allowed to expire. Following this Wizards put out the token Expedition to Castle Ravenloft for 3.5 Edition as a stand-alone module.
3. 4th Edition D&D has seen a resurgence of Ravenloft as it was announced at Gencon 2010 to be on next year's product line. They claim it will not get a full setting treatment like Dark Sun or Forgotten Realms however and will just be folded into the Core world assumptions. I find that hard to believe but we shall see.
4. Anyone who has played Ravenloft knows the mists of the Ethereal Plane that surround the demiplane can reach out to any other place (except the Phlogiston of Spalljammer I hear) and grab both evil doers and innocent adventurers. Greyhawk has not been immune to the mist. Azalin the lich is apparently from the Adri, Vecna and Kas both did a stint there and rumor has it there was a connection to Raveloft below Zagyg's Castle. Fun!
5. I don't think I've ever played a full game of Risk. I owned two sets of it as a kid though. Odd.
6. Coincidentally and anachronistically, the cultists might not know that the Greyhawk Wars board game and Risk though created by TSR and Parker Brothers respectfully, are now both owned by Hasbro. Talk about Dark Lords!
7. Now onto the cultist contest: I wasn't going to do this but here is a fairly complete list of characters who have appeared in the comic alongside the cultists and so should not be considered candidates....
Nerull, Vatun, Lady of Pain, Kelanen, Fharlanghn, Delleb, Eclavdra, Edralve, Lolth, Zagyg, Boccob, Wee Jas, Vecna, Incabulos, Halga, Althea, General Sindol, Syrul, Zarus, Asmodeus, Beltar, Gruumsh, Mictlantecuhtli, Meyanok, Erythnul, Pyremius, Hextor, Celestian, Murlynd, Bahamut, Moradin, Corellon Larethian, Pelor, Rao, Kord, Pholtus, Yondalla, Vogan, Rudd.
That's enough for now! Keep skimming the comics and expect some more blockbuster clues revealed in the weeks to come.
Cultists: First | Previous | Next |